Q&A: how do i become a california resident?

Question by Elle: how do i become a california resident?
im now a flroida resident…

Best answer:

Answer by No Name
Enter from the Mexican border.

Give your answer to this question below!

5 Comments/Reviews

  • John S says:

    The College Kid is confused. You are a resident of California as soon as you are in the state with the intention of remaining permanently. For some purposes, such as paying resident tuition at state colleges, you must BE a resident for a certain length of time, e.g., one year. You are a resident during that entire year.

  • Popeye says:

    learn Spanish!

  • theCollegekid says:

    The state resident concept is a bit confusing, as sometimes you are considered a resident but not others. Under the 14th Amendment, “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside”. However, you may still not qualify as a resident for some purposes, but may for other purposes.

    In regards to in-state college fees in California, you are considered a resident after 1 year of residence in California, if you are over 18. Any time spent studying full time in a higher education facility does not count towards residence. You must also relinquish your residence in other states before you can become a California resident. If you are under 18, then you must be in the care of a someone who fulfills the previous requirements and you must have been claimed as a dependent for the last 2 years on tax return forms. This requirements are waived if you are under 18 and one of your parents is on active duty for the US military.

    If you meet the above requirements then you are considered a California resident for college purposes. As a California resident you may apply for California financial aid programs and pay in-state fees.

    For other purposes, “residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents”.

  • David says:

    Fly or drive … your preference ….

  • OneLastRevolutionary says:

    Move to California and you’re a resident.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers